We are not just a neighborhood organization but a portal to community events, resources, and services.
This section contains development summaries for projects that are proposed in the Saint Anthony West community. Frequently, the developers will meet with the STAWNO board to discuss the development. Please sign-up at e-blasts for notice of these meetings.
The Planning Commission will vote on these proposals at their meeting on July 6, 4:30 pm start. If you want to provide testimony during the meeting, go here for instructions: http://www2.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/WCMSP-224511 There is a public comment form on the site where you can sign up to speak at the public hearing. After you sign up, the City’s IT Department will provide the call-in number for the meeting.
Check out the local services directory for frequently requested contact information.
- Block Club Training Information: 612-673-3204
- City of Minneapolis Information Number: 311
- Community Crime Prevention Specialist, 2nd Precinct – Nick Juarez: 612-673-2797
- County Commissioner Irene Fernando: 612-348-7882
- Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board Commissioner Chris Meyer: 612-230-6443
- Northeast Senior Services: 612-781-5096
- Open Door Learning Center NE: 612-789-9024
- Pierre Bottineau Library: 612-543-6850
- Saint Anthony West Neighborhood Organization (STAWNO): 612-758-0020
- State Representative Sydney Jordan, District 60A: 651-296-4219
- State Senator Kari Dziedzic, District 60: 651-296-7809
- Third Ward City Council Member Steve Fletcher: 612-673-2203
- Webster Elementary: 612-668-1210
The Northeast Farmers Market is located right here in the Saint Anthony West Neighborhood. Each Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. from June through mid-October, you’ll find fresh produce, crafts, entertainment and many other goodies to eat at the St. Boniface Church parking lot, University Avenue at 7th Avenue NE.
STAWNO made a commitment in 2012 to begin treating ash trees for Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) – the idea came from Chris Linde, who had seen the harm to the neighborhood when all the boulevard trees on a block were removed at one time – he knew there had to be a better solution. Working with the Park Board, STAWNO came up with a plan to treat some of the ash trees to slow the spread of the disease while planting the next generation of boulevard trees. It is a 10-year plan so we will be well on the way to a new tree canopy when the final treatment is made in 2020. STAWNO pays for this program with a City grant. We ask for your help to water the young trees.
Dickman Park is one of the jewels of our park system: a place to relax, a place where folks come to meet, and a place for kids and families to enjoy the wading pool. The park is located just south of 8th Ave NE between Main and 2nd Streets NE.
Dickman Park is home to “summer of fun,” a six-week festival that is held during the months of June and July – supervised activities for kids, family entertainment, a community picnic, and a movie night. There is no charge for summer of fun because STAWNO uses proceeds from the 5K Run/Walk and a grant from the City to pay for the services. According to neighbor Michael Rainville, “It’s wonderful to see neighbors meet one another for the first time at Dickman Park and to see kids come together to play and make friendships that will last a lifetime.”
Watch for an announcement of the 2020 Historic Riverfront 5K Run/Walk. The fundraiser is held in early October at Boom Island Park and follows a truly beautiful route along the Mississippi River. Proceeds from the fundraiser support local programs including the summer festival at Dickman Park.
The fundraiser would not be possible without the generous support of our volunteers and donations from our sponsors. We have contributed over $100,000 from the fundraiser to help pay for local services including the community picnic. Mark your calendar and join us at Boom Island Park.
- February 11 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm at Online
- February 25 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm at Online
- March 11 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm at Online
- April 8 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm at Online